Monday, August 2, 2010

Cherry Crest Farm and Strasburg RR

Last Thursday and Friday CHERRY CREST FARM and STRASBURG RAILROAD held their annual Educator's Open House.


Back in the spring when Pete registered he picked Friday, so we decided to make it a family day and use the tickets the kids earned with the library's summer reading program and ride the rails too! With Pete being free to both locations, and our plethora of "free" passes/coupons, I was the only one that had to pay. Sweet!


The weather was gorgeous! Low humidity, warm, cool breezes. The only downer was that I started to get a cold the day before. My head felt like a cinder block, my eyeballs felt hot and itchy and I was somewhat delirious...but I powered through it. The things we do because it's free for our children. :o)


We started at the farm. None of us had ever been there before. We took a short wagon ride through the corn.



Pete tried out the slingshot.



Then, we saw the jumpy jump thingy. One for the big kids and one for the little kids. Natalia LOVED it!



Until she heard the train coming. The track was right beside us.

Not so much a fan of the whistle. It WAS loud!


Goin' west in our Conestoga wagon.

Here it comes again!

We had a few bites from our packed lunch, then enjoyed the open air car on the train. We were in the very first/last car so we were able to see so much more as we rode along.


Adam, catchin' flies taking it all in.


Watching the engine hitch and unhitch was fun too!



Overall, I'd say Cherry Crest is fun, especially if you have little ones into farm things. For us it was alot of what we've encountered at the local farm fairs (except the jumpy jump thingy) and seemed geared towards tourists who come to Lancaster to vacation.

Our favorite thing to do in Strasburg is still riding the train, the little rides at the station and visiting the Choo Choo Barn. Maybe when the kids are older we'll take them back to Cherry Crest to do the corn maze.

Another fun day in good ole Strasburg, PA!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh yeah, that's the farm you see while on the Strasburg train. I couldn't quite tell what the deal was. It does look fun--but touristy. It looks like Adam managed better than our kids did their first ride in May. They were so scared at first, when we sat in the open air car by the engine. Note to self, get as far away from the engine as possible--too loud!

Annette W. said...

So Adam liked it, huh? Hmmm...

Was there an option (in cost) not to do the maze? Derek and I did the maze before children and had fun, but ours I think are too young.

Looks like an awesome day!

Jen said...

Aw, I wish I would have known about this earlier, so we could have taken advantage. The older two do the summer reading program as well, and John would get free admission. Did you have to still pay for Natalia at Cherry Crest Farm? Sounds like a blast - maybe we'll join you guys next summer!

Lynn said...

Looks like a fabulous ( and cheap!) family day. So many great things to do in Lanc county.