Wednesday, February 23, 2011

You Say Hoary, I Say Hairy

Yesterday morning's frigid temp's yielded a beautiful sight--hoar frost!




All that is needed for this breathtaking display is the combination of freezing temperatures, low winds, low-lying fog and clear skies. The clear skies allow the plants and other surfaces to cool more quickly that the surrounding air, and the moisture crystallizes in a thick, hairy frost.


I know I've said it before, but I just LOVE the scenery yielded by our pre-school commute.


Round-trip, it is less than 10 miles, is solely confined to back country roads, sprawling farms, a lazy winding creek, 2 covered bridges...oh, and a construction site with enough diggers, graders, and dump trucks to endlessly delight my kiddos.


This morning's frost was a feast for the eyes, like God had sprinkled sugary feathers over everything.


While I'm still itchin' for spring, it was a reminder that there are blessings in every season.

Just like my impatience for spring, I've been struggling with impatience in being physically made low (my knees taking a long time to recovery). BUT, there IS blessing for me in this season. And it doesn't take long to discover it, once I stop whining (whether spoken or suppressed).

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I definitely can identify with your impatience for spring and physical issues (my reoccurring back/neck pain). Thanks for the reminder there's joy in the right now!

Zoanna said...

Your picture is gorgeous, Krista! And yes, it's true about how to stop whining. Now to put it into practice...

Lynn said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Briana Almengor said...

Beautiful photo and perspective, Krista. And something that encourages me when it's hard not to focus on my physical limitations is to pray for my sisters world round who are undergoing similar suffering or worse as instructed in I Peter 5:9.