Last year I posted a list of titles we have in our personal library to pull out during the month of December. You can take a look at that posting here.
Since then I've picked up a few more. Here they are in no particular order.

Bear Stays Up For Christmas by Karma Wilson and illustrated by Jane Chapman.
Another delightful "Bear" book, this one about Bear's struggle to stay awake to celebrate Christmas with his friends when he normally would be hibernating. Santa makes a very quick appearance in this book, but we've talked about the tradition of Santa in our household, so I've no objections to his inclusion in the story. The spirit of the book is friends blessing friends with thoughtfulness. And I simply adore Chapman's style.

One Winter's Day by M. Christina Butler and illustrated by Tina Macnaughton
Along the same vein as the previous title, this book showcases selflessness and a generous spirit as Little Hedgehog tries to find shelter on a blustery winter night and en route gives away his hat, mittens and scarf to friends in need, at cost to his personal comfort. His kindness is rewarded in the end. *This is a touch and feel book.

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
I normally enjoy greatly detailed illustrations and country scenes, but I purposefully chose this book for a change. It's broad, plain illustrations and city scene capture the simple joy of discovering snow and the fun to be had playing in it.

The Little Drummer Boy by Ezra Jack Keats
Another book by Keats, this one illustrating the lyrics to the song. *Music score included at the end. I liked that all of the people looked Middle Eastern/Asian, as that is rare, but I will point out that there are 5 wise men and they visit the manger scene. I just remind the kids of what the scriptures say about the "kings" and when they visited Jesus.

The Twelve Days of Christmas by Laurel Long
The only words in this stunning book are the lyrics to the song, but the illustrations are clearly the shining star. With each page turn, a new verse is uncovered along with the previous verses themes hidden in the elaborate design. A fun challenge to find everything!

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry and illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger
The familiar story of Jim and Della and the lengths they go to get a meaningful gift for the one they love. In the end the gifts are rendered useless by the sacrifice they each make, but the intention is what matters. A nice segway opportunity to talk about the sacrifice Jesus made to give us the greatest gift--salvation. The only thing we truly need.

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston and illustrated by Barbara Cooney
This book is set in 1918 Appalachia--a heartwarming story of familial love and dedication with illustrations that capture the charm of the region.
Have any new favorites this year?
Feel free to share in the comment section. :-)
2 comments:
Yay, I ordered some from the library! Thanks for sharing!
I'm so glad you added more. I've been on the look-out for new Christmas books and I trust your recommendations. We've struck out on several books we got from the library. Next year I'll be more selective.
Post a Comment