Monday, May 12, 2008

It's Been 2 Weeks of Mother's Days

Yesterday I was in my usual spot--on the couch. Not how I would prefer to spend Mother's Day, but oh well. It became my usual resting place 2 weeks ago when the pregnancy all-day yuckies came to stay. I distinctly remember feeling nauseous for the first 4 months with Natalia, but somehow it seems worse this time. Maybe teaching full-time then was a helpful distraction, maybe having a 2-1/2 year old to take care of makes it harder the second time around...or maybe the yuckiness IS worse. Who knows?

My consolation is that this too shall pass--AND many people have had it alot worse! I know someone threw up every day of her pregnancy and even during labor. Thank you Lord that that is not the case with me! I have been able to keep things down...so far.

All that to say, my hubby has made the past 2 weeks the greatest Mother's Day gift of all--he has stepped up to the plate in such a way that it's been humbling...very much so. He hasn't blinked at the prospect of cooking dinner and cleaning up after he's put in a full day of work. If I plan the meals and make him a grocery list, he's all set to go. Smells, particularly in the kitchen, have been especially problematic for me. Just the thought of cooking sends me reeling. I have enough trouble just opening the pantry cupboards and refrigerator, so his attitude and desire to serve me in this way is HUGE. It's hard for me to be on the receiving end of such love without feeling guilty! But, I know that instead of letting my thoughts go there, I can give glory to God for the grace He's given and to honor my husband for his sacrifice. Even though I am undeserving, he lavishes his love upon me--what a picture of Christ and the glorious gospel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought I'd give a few more details to let you all know what's been going on. I've had two doctor's visits so far; the first to confirm the pregnancy and the second to have an early sonogram. The sonogram was to confirm a heartbeat and to determine if we were having multiples--chances were a bit greater because of the medication I had been on.

So, last Friday Pete went with me to my sonogram. We're just having 1 baby, and the heartbeat looked and SOUNDED just great. Considering that the baby is the length of a kidney bean, this was so remarkable! Pete's convinced he saw something between the baby's legs--he's delirious. :-)

This pregancy will be considered high-risk, but not, if that makes sense. The doctor's will order special tests along the way, due to Natalia's heart defect, but they don't expect to find anything. This is because there are no known hereditary/health issues in our family that would have caused her defect. You can click on this link for an explanation of TGV (Transposition of the Great Vessels).

We haven't been anxious about it--God has continued to grant us peace that He is sovereign. He carried us through the fire before. But we are praying for a healthy baby and a "normal" delivery this time around.

Thanks for sharing our excitement with us! I'll continue to post updates.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Yea!!! We are still rejoicing with you over the new little life growing in you. So sorry about the sickies....at least it's for a good cause. :o)

Way to step up Pete! He's a keeper.

Jen said...

So sorry to hear you've been dealing with all-day sickness, but it sounds like you have a great hubby to take care of you! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day! By the way, Josh made that delicious Goat cheese and basil stuff chicken breast from the recipe you gave us last year. It was sooo good!